Friday, October 17, 2008

Pay attention to your health.

January W. Payne argues in the article entitled” Your iPod and BlackBerry Can Hurt Your Health” found in the U.S.News that a couple of recent reports remind that the way you use your personal electronics may be hazardous to your health. The article states how to avoid short- or long-term health problems. Firstly, the writer quotes the researches in the European Union. Users of MP3 players risk permanent hearing loss if they listen to these devices for too long at maximum volume levels. The solution is that Keep the devices' volume at a level where others sitting nearby can't hear the sound. Secondly, the writer point out that it's essentially like walking blind, when you text and walk. So don’t multitask while you send text messages. Finally, the small keyboards are not designed for excessive texting, and overdoing it can result in swelling and pain in the tendons at the base of the wrist and thumb. For your health, take a break from texting, and do exercises.

Personal response

It is true that we often use our electronics in our daily life. I agree with the writer’s opinion that it is harm for your ear by listening to these devices for too long at maximum volume levels. Take my experience for example. When I prepared for my toefl, I always listened to the exercises in my mp3 player for a long time everyday. During this time, my ear not felt very well, sometimes it was aching. After the exam, I try to decrease the time I use the mp3 player. The aching of ear is somewhat released.